Home > Varietals > Nerello Mascalese
Nerello Mascalese is a highly regarded, dark-skinned grape variety that grows most commonly on the volcanic slopes of Mount Etna in Sicily. Its wines, which have had a rapid upsurge in popularity in the last decade, have a tendency to reflect their surroundings, giving taut, fresh red wines with fruity, herbaceous flavors, excellent minerality and an earthy nuance.

Nerello Mascalese wines often have a perfume reminiscent of those of the noble wines of Barolo and Burgundy. The variety takes its name from the Mascali plain between Mount Etna and the coast where it is thought to have originated – a small portion of older vines predate the phylloxera epidemic of the 1880s.

The prefix Nerello refers to the black color of the grapes, and is shared by Nerello Cappuccio, Nerello Mascaleses most common blending partner. Both grapes are found in Etna DOC wines, with Nerello Mascalese making up the bulk of the blend and easily surpassing plantings of Nerello Cappuccio.
Sort By:
2014 Tenuta Benedetta Vigna Laura Etna Rosso IGP 2014 Tenuta Benedetta Vigna Laura Etna Rosso IGP

Producer: Tenuta Benedetta
Vintage: 2014
Region: Sicila
Sub-Region: Etna Rosso DOC
Varietal: Nerello Mascalese (80%) Nerello Cappuccio (20%)
Color: Red

Our Price: $54.99
2012 Tenuta Enza La Fauci Obli Faro DOC 2012 Tenuta Enza La Fauci Obli Faro DOC

Producer: Tenuta Enza La Fauci
Vintage: 2012
Region: Sicilia
Sub-Region: Faro DOC
Varietal: Nerello Mascallese 60% Nerello Cappuccio 15% Nocera 15% Nero D'Avola 10%
Color: Red

Our Price: $36.99
2014 Tenuta Enza La Fauci Terra di Vento, Faro DOC 2014 Tenuta Enza La Fauci Terra di Vento Faro DOC

Producer: Tenuta Enza La Fauci
Vintage: 2014
Region: Sicilia
Sub-Region: Faro DOC
Varietal: Nerello Mascalese 60% Nerello Cappucco 15% Nocera 15% Nero d'Avola 10%
Color: Red

Our Price: $34.99
2011 Murgo Rose Brut Metodo Classico Sicilia Murgo Rose Brut Metodo Classico Sicilia 2011

Producer: Murgo
Vintage: 2010
Region: Sicilia
Varietal: Nerello Mascalese (100%)
Color: Rose

Our Price: $27.99
Deal of the Day Price: $23.99

(1)
2012 Murgo Tenuta San Michele Etna Rosso 2012 Murgo Tenuta San Michele Etna Rosso DOC

Producer: Murgo
Vintage: 2012
Region: Sicila
Sub-Region: Etna Rosso DOC
Varietal: Nerello Mascalese (90%) Nerello Cappuccio (10%)
Color: Red

Our Price: $31.99
Deal of the Day Price: $23.99
Savings: $8.00
Murgo Brut Metodo Classico 2010 Murgo Brut Metodo Classico 2009

Producer: Murgo
Vintage: 2009
Region: Sicilia
Varietal: Nerello Mascalese (100%)
Color: White

Our Price: $26.99

(1)
2012 Terre di Giurfo Nardalici Etna Rosso DOC 2012 Terre di Giurfo Nardalici Etna Rosso DOC

Producer: Terre di Giurfo
Vintage: 2012
Region: Sicila
Sub-Region: Etna Rosso DOC
Varietal: Nerello Mascalese (85%) Nerello Cappuccio (15%)
Color: Red

Our Price: $36.99
   
 

In 1968, Nerello Mascalese became the main ingredient of the DOC denomination of Etna Rosso of which it represents a good 80%, whereas the remaining 20% is composed of the Nerello Cappuccio grape varietal. It is used, to a lesser extent, also in the DOC of Alcamo, Contea di Sclafani, Faro, Marsala and Sambuca di Sicilia, besides those of Calabresi di Lamezia and Sant’Anna di Isola di Capo Rizzuto. Nerello Mascalese’s characterizing elements are its late ripening, generally during the second and the third week of October and finally that it allows producing some important red wines, suited to ageing.
Nerello Mascalese Grapes

The characteristics of the monovarietal Nerello Mascalese generally are a ruby red color reminiscent of pinot noir, a strong fruity scent of red berry fruits, with slight floral shades, a spicy hint, and a feeble effusion of vanilla and tobacco, with a persistent trace of licorice; and a dry, tannic, persistent and harmonic taste, with a strong body

Popup Ad
Loading...