1455 Van Ness Avenue
San Fransico, CA 94109
(415) 440-4001

  Home > Regions > Trentino / Alto Adige >

2012 De Vescovi Ulzbach Vigilius Teroldego Rotaliano
2012 De Vescovi Ulzbach Vigilius Teroldego Rotaliano

90 Points Wine Spectator Gambero Rosso Tre Bicchieri
Our Price: $52.99

Quantity in Stock:(Out of Stock)


Teroldego is a red-wine grape grown in the Trentino wine region of northern Italy. There is just one DOC for Teroldego wines in its native Italy, this variety is hardly cultivated anywhere else in the world. Teroldego’s home is the area just north of Trento, between the mountains of Piana Rotaliana. This variety produces intense deeply pigmented red wines with an intensely fruity characteristic, a style that has become something of an icon for Trentino’s wine industry.

De Vescovi Ulzbach Vigilius is a full-bodied and intense wine with a dark ruby red color and garnet reflections. On the nose it expresses a soothing balsamic bouquet, with notes of spices and small red fruits. Structured and intense on the palate, it envelops with its warm taste and has a beautiful tannin.

Vigilius harvests their grapes the first week of October and uses open wooden vats with ambient yeasts for fermentation. Maceration on the skins then lasts for 10 days with 60% of the wine maturing in Slavonia oak casks and the other 40% in new French oak casks for 10 -12 months. After natural decanting in stainless steel tanks, the wine is bottled unfiltered and aged for 8-10months, the result is a fantastic, unique wine. The color is a rich inky purple with lively acidity and a zesty/spicy bouquet reminiscent of crushed black currants intermixed with herbal nuances and stony minerality.
Perfect to combine with risotto with mushrooms, pasta seasoned with meat sauce, with red meat stew, roasted or grilled.
Awarded Tre Bicchieri from Gambero Rosso , 90 point Wine Spectator

Average Rating: Average Rating: 5 of 5 5 of 5 Total Reviews: 1 Write a review »

  1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:
5 of 5 Excellent Bold and fruit forward wine. March 12, 2018
Reviewer: Marc Boush from sf, CA United States  
Opaque , ruby red color with fat tears circus. Original bouquet with lots of spicy accents like green pepper and rosemary. Full of flavor with a high fruit factor. Especially cherries and blackcurrants but then also with prunes and figs in the background. Juicy wine with backbone.

Was this review helpful to you?