Le Filigare is the name of the hill where the estate in Chianti is located. The main hamlet
dates back to the XVII century and was known in the area as Fiaccole di
Sopra. The name derives from a slang term which means “upper torch”. Many years ago during the commemoration of the Patron Saint, the hamlet,
located on a dominant position, used to be lit with fire torches and
locals used to gather here to celebrate. In
1716 the Grand Duke of Tuscany set the boundaries to a production zone for the “real” Chianti wine. Le Filigare settlements were included within these boundaries.
The soil in this area is primarily sandstone, and between 400 and 500 meters above sea level, where there is no fog or
frost. The gentle
slopes exposed to the South provide good drainage for the vineyards. A dense wooded area
provides sheltering to the northern vines, while constant sunshine and
lack of humidity guarantee the perfect ripening of the grapes. Here, the land is mainly clay with fossilized deposits, which makes the soil permeated.
This is one of the main requirements for the production of Chianti Classico DOCG in which the Sangiovese grape is dominant.
For more information about Le Filigare, visit their website here.